Monday, September 7, 2015

What A Ride: To Ocala Part 2

(previous chapter)

Once we were off the train, we had to climb up a hill to get back on the road. A pair of motorcycle cops stopped us almost immediately.

"Just get off the train?" As it turned out, one of the cops used to work in a city with a big train yard and would have to respond to pick up train kids that the railroad cops, known as bulls, had caught. He was pretty cool with us, though. The cops complemented us on our gear and choice of lifestyle, saying that we were, "just living." They gave us directions and sent us on our way.

We split the group up a bit as we set off walking, hoping we'd get picked up sooner if there weren't five of us together. That didn't really make much of a difference, unfortunately, and we all met back up at a gas station after getting some food. The two train kids and I ate at the gas station, while Virgo and Gypsy got some Subway that had been on the way. The two kids were out back in a field behind the gas station when Virgo and Gypsy caught up with us.

While we were waiting for the kids to finish their drink, Gypsy got more directions to a Flying J truck stop that we'd gone in the opposite direction of. The two train kids decided to go the direction we'd been hiking in, staying in Birmingham to make some money and hit the bars. Since the group was no longer so large, Virgo, Gypsy, and I decided to stick together and head towards the Flying J. Once we were going in that way in a smaller group, we managed to get a ride to the truck stop.

The Flying J had a Subway that we spent the rest of the day hanging out at, as the weather was starting to shape up into rain. Gypsy and I scouted out some woods across from the truck stop for camp that night. When we found a site, we went back for our gear and set up my tent, covered by their tarp, to protect us all from the rain.

The next day was nothing but rain. We considered staying back at camp all day, but tore down and went back to the truck stop instead. We spent the last of our money there on breakfast, then hung out in the same corner we'd occupied the day before. Not actually bothering anyone, a manager eventually came up to us and told us we had to leave because we weren't spending enough money and we'd hung out all day the day before. We tried to plead we be allowed to stay at least until the weather let up, but this woman would hear none of it.

We stood out in the rain, using tarps to protect our gear from getting too wet while we waited on a ride to pick us up. A veteran on his way to Texas was the first car to stop and fit us in. Our ride split what money he had on him with the three of us, since we had spent the last of what we had at the truck stop. We'd be taking I-59 south to Louisiana, at which point he'd join with I-10 to go west. Since we had already gone so far west already, and since the ride was continuing west, Virgo and Gypsy decided to stay with the ride and go visit a friend of theirs in New Mexico. I got out in Sidell, LA, still on my way to Ocala.

It was already night when I set out on my own. I started to look for a good place to set up camp, but I was in the middle of a city without many wooded areas to conceal me, and everything was wet. I encountered a man dropping a bag of trash in a dumpster and asked him about homeless shelters in the area. He let me use his phone to look up and call around until I finally found a place to put me up for the night, Trumpet of Truth Ministries, then he gave me a ride there.

Trumpet of Truth was almost completely black, with only one other white person at the time. They let me take a shower, eat, and stay on the couch for the night, trying to convince me to stay longer and get a job in the area. I insisted that I was on my own personal mission to reach the Ocala gathering.

I hit I-10 again in the morning, catching a ride rather quick from a man who had spent the night in town on his way back to Florida, from Texas. Apparently, he makes the trip to pick up a bunch of weed - ten pounds to be exact. We went cruising down the interstate smoking down, talking about the legal system and how rights work. He's the kind of person who buys bulk quantities of the Constitution to pass out to people for free. I've still got the one he gave me. He had plenty of books on law in the car, too. It was quite the enlightening ride.

He took me as far as De Funiak Springs, FL, dropping me off at the McDonald's with $23, a dime bag, and all the roaches from the joints we'd smoked on the ride. I ate at the McDonald's, but could hear people commenting on my weed smell in there so decided to not go stand at the on-ramp, which was in view of the restaurant, and instead began walking HW-331 south.

An older couple picked me up, informing me I didn't want to go in the direction I was headed being homeless, as the area I was going towards had cops that'd try to arrest me for it. They took me back to De Funiak Springs, where I finally went ahead and hit the interstate on-ramp. A ride didn't come. I stood there all of the rest of the day. The hitchhiker I was supposed to meet up with in Richmond Hill informed me of a good place to camp behind the Walmart in town, which is where I slept for the night.

The next day was shaping up to be just as unproductive at the on-ramp. Eventually, I decided to just walk HW-90, which runs parallel with I-10. HW-90 is a lot of nothing back road. After walking for a couple hours, I got my first ride past a blink-and-you-miss-it town called Ponce De Leon by a father and his son. From there, I walked for another few hours until I had worn myself down to the point of limping from all the weight on my back I had carried all this way without rest.

That's when I got picked up by a rapist. I was eager to get in the white pickup truck when it pulled over and the man inside told me to, "Throw your stuff in the back and get in."

All the trash in the back and in the cab had set off a red flag, but I figured he was just a hoarder, which isn't that bad. He was heavyset, with a big, black cross around his neck. He also kept shifting his right hand between the steering wheel, and a box that sat between us. The box was half-locked; the switch nearest me was undone, while the switch nearest him was still clasped. I had the sinking feeling that the box had a gun inside it, and his hand kept going between the wheel and the box the whole ride.

I started off by telling him why I was on this empty road in the first place, where I was from, where I was going, and what all I'd been through so far. When I finished my story, the first word out of his mouth were, "So how do you feel about a boy raping a girl?"

I didn't know how to respond, "Uh, that's bad, and he should go to jail."

"Okay, so how do you feel about a boy raping three girls?"

I couldn't believe the situation I had gotten myself in. I had some pepper spray, but if he had a gun I might end up dead if I said or did the wrong thing. I didn't want to ask him to just let me out on the side of the road for fear he'd shoot me with no one around and just leave. So I rode along, dealing with questions about castration and insisting that I didn't want to be adopted into a "manly family" - whatever that meant. Eventually, I saw a McDonald's up ahead and requested he let me out there, as I was hungry and wanted a burger. He tried to convince me to let him take me another four miles. I insisted I wanted out at McDonald's, ready to use the pepper spray if he didn't stop. He did stop, but on the other side of the road from the McDonald's and threw a fit about me leaving. I got out, got my pack, and didn't look back, glad the ride was over.

A man at the McDonald's who was biking across the country bought me a burger and listened to my story of the ride I had just escaped, but night was approaching fast and I needed somewhere safe to set up camp for the night.

It was already dark by the time I encountered a group of five dirty kids and four dogs spanging outside of some business towards the other end of town. Once I got there, we went over a hill across the road from us where they had intended to camp for the night and stayed with them and got them high. The next morning, I got them high again and gave them a bunch of food and other supplies I felt I could spare, before hitting I-10 again.

I caught a ride rather quickly, making it to the first Tallahassee exit. From there, I caught a ride to the last exit in Tallahassee. Then, I got a ride to another town between Tallahassee and I-75. It had already been such a wonderful day for rides that I could have easily been satisfied after my last couple days, but I figured I'd keep flying a sign a little bit longer and maybe get lucky enough to catch one more ride to I-75 before the day was over. If it didn't happen, I was already eyeing some woods across the road where I could stay the night.

As luck would have it, a former hitchhiker-turned truck driver was hungry and stopped at my exit's McDonald's, even though he never eats there, because he only had a couple dollars on him and that's where his sons in college always ate when they only had a couple dollars.

He asked where I was going, to which I responded, "Ocala."

"No shit, you're in luck. I'm going straight through there."

Turns out, he was on his way back from shipping a load in his box truck. He used to hitchhike, then became a trucker, and was now an independent. He also used to hang out at Rainbow gatherings in Ocala, and his girlfriend had friends who still did. When he learned that the gathering was my destination, he decided he'd help me get as close as he could. After all, it would be late by the time we made it to Ocala and he was coming off running his rig, and his girlfriend was waiting on him - which he was going to see because taking me towards the gathering would take him closer towards her than his home, so it was a win for both of us.

His girlfriend got her friend to get us some directions to the gathering, but it was late and we were having a hard time finding it. We decided I'd just go back to town and try to find a ride the next day, but as we came back to a four-way intersection, I noticed a fire had been lit where there wasn't one before.

We pulled over to investigate, and I shouted out at the campers, "You guys Rainbows?"

"Um, yeah, sorta," two of the group were also on there way to their first gathering, the other one was a long-time front gater named Mouse.

I thanked the trucker and we parted ways. After the ride the day before, I was finally just outside of the gathering - my destination. I felt like it had been gifting the dirty kids earlier that morning that gave me the karmic boost I needed.

Anyways, we weren't to the gathering yet. That journey would come in the morning. Some locals kept going by and had been upset we had a fire on the side of the road. Forestry officials came over to investigate, but they told us we were okay because we were in the national forest, and the fire was about survival. They did have to run our names though. Most of us came back clean, but Mouse came back with an escapee charge that was non-extraditable - so he was still good to go. Before the officers left, Mouse got it in his mind that he he was gonna tell them a joke. We tried to talk him out of it, as he approached the officers at their cars, drunk. The officers said it was okay, they'd listen to the joke - and they loved it. Mouse got them to laugh hard at a couple jokes, then they left us alone.

(next chapter)







No comments:

Post a Comment